Tuesday, November 27, 2012

More Worries

Trixie was listless and off her food yesterday evening and this morning, she also seemed to have a temperature. I had intended to take her in to the vet today, anyway, to have her shots, and it's lucky I did because it turned out she did, indeed, have a temperature. The vet (the nice, new one) thinks she might have pneumonia, but she doesn't seem to have any other symptoms, such as difficulty breathing. Anyway, she (the vet) gave Trixie a shot of antibiotics to be on the safe side, and I have to give her pills twice a day. As I said, she doesn't seem to be displaying any other symptoms but I'm SUPER SENSITIVE and SUPER NERVOUS about anything that could possibly be wrong with her. I couldn't bear it if I were to lose another furbaby now, so soon after the loss of my beloved Possum...And after my previous experience with vets, I find myself always doubting them, whoever they may be. The other vet, despite his poor bedside manner, would probably have run half a dozen tests already, including x-rays. I called the (nice) vet a few minutes ago to ask how soon I could expect the antibiotics she administered to take effect. She said, by morning and not to get into a panic yet. But I can't help it. I've become so attached to my little panther that I'm almost freaking out already. Maybe she has eaten something poisonous - like the flowers I had for Shabbat.

Shimona - the Panicky Mum

5 comments:

Fuzzy Tales said...

I've been there, the utter panic when another becomes sick or is just "off," after losing a fur baby. Try to take some deep breaths, have a cup of tea or whatever relaxes you, and be calm. Or take a half a sedative or something else, if you need it. I used to take Gravol, which is a brand of anti-nausea med here in Canada. Makes you drowsy. I would take half quite frequently, just to remain calm and not get sick, I was so worried. (Annie got sick not long after Chumley died, and then Derry, in turn, got constipated (food-related) not long after Annie died.)

It's easy to panic, but that won't help Trixie, and she'll pick up on your stress.

The boys are sending lots of purrs that she'll be just fine. She could just have a kitty cold...Every now and again the boys will be "off" for a bit with a virus flare-up.

Fingers and paws crossed it's something innocuous.

Peace.

Mariodacat said...

It's so hard when you lose a furbaby and another beocmes ill. I do hope and pray that everything will be okay, Thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Katie Isabella said...

I understand so well. Admiral was so sick and presented so many health issues that I didn't know how to live with a well cat! I plagued the Vet with questions when nothing was wrong. That is ME. Not you. I know something is making Trixie not want her food right now.

I am so grateful she had an antibiotic shot. That may do the trick. Is it just 1 day she has been off her food and seemed listless? I am anxious to hear how she is..hope you post again.

CATachresis said...

Believe it or not, Shimona, I am going through the same thing at the moment with Austin!! (Will blog about it) But I do hope Trixie will be ok and back to normal soon! xx

Terri said...

We are so sorry Trixie isn't feeling well. Sometimes Sissy gets off her food and doesn't eat much.

Be careful with flowers as some, such as lilies, are very poisonous to cats. If you regularly have flowers in your home, print out a list of plants toxic to cats and avoid them.